“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true!" -Ralph Waldo Emerson

I am finally living my dream! My name is Sarah Edgar, and ever since I was 6 years old all I ever wanted to do was be an exchange student, but as I grew older I thought I would never be able to be a high school exchange student. Here I am today, a junior in high school, who is currently studying abroad in Bosnia i Herzegovina, in the lovely city of Sarajevo!!

If you had asked me at the beginning of sophomore year would I go and study abroad, my junior year in high school, I would have replied,'
“1. No, there is NO way my parents are letting me out of this state, all by myself, at age 15, never mind the country.
2. I will not let myself miss the most important year in my high school career.
3. my parents aren't going to pull, $15,000 out of their pockets, and hand it to me saying, “Go study abroad in country that you know nothing about.""

Well, through YES Abroad, which is funded by the State Department, my parents are saying goodbye to their "little girl" and I am allowing myself to give up my junior year "Dream" of taking AP and Dual Credit classes to study abroad and have a cultural exchange. At least my parents didn't have to dish out $15,000!! :)

God has given me such an amazing opportunity, He has opened so many doors for me, and it is INCREDIBLE!!! I can't wait to see where this journey takes me!! I would love for you to follow my journey through this blog, which I will be keeping updated every few weeks! Hope you enjoy!

Sunday, April 28, 2013

“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.” – Susan Sontag



The Papers are signed, sealed, and delivered! It’s official, I will be spending ten months in the lovely city of Sarajevo! Words do not even explain how excited I am! People ask me every day, "Aren't you scared?" My answer is always this, "Yes, I am kind of terrified, but my excitement outweighs my fear!" The thought of being in a place where I am considered an "Outsider" is EXTREMELY scary, but the thought of the things that I will learn, the people that I will meet, and the opportunities that I will get, bring so much excitement that it gives little room for fear!

Earlier today I had my first webinar with my directors (the one here in Washington D.C. as well as the others over in Sarajevo)! Getting to hear about the small details made my excitement and anticipation grow even more!!! Not only have I done the webinar, but I have also been able to read the blogs of the girls who are already over in Sarajevo! As of what I have read, they absolutely love it (I can't wait to get over there!!)

Other than that I have no new information. The plan is to leave in Mid-August of 2013 and return in Mid-June of 2014. In late June of 2013 I will fly to DC for PDO (Pre-departure Orientation), where I will meet up with the other 65 YES Abroaders for training about the culture, life as an exchange student, ECT..! Other than that, I have nothing else! I will find out in Late-June my departure date, and sometime in the summer I will learn about my host family!

This post is short and sweet, but I will, hopefully, get new information in these upcoming weeks! Thanks for all the prayers! I ask for you guys to please continue praying and to start praying for my host family, that they be loving and inviting! I can't wait to see who God places me with.

Well, until the next adventure,

Sarah Edgar

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment