“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true!" -Ralph Waldo Emerson

I am finally living my dream! My name is Sarah Edgar, and ever since I was 6 years old all I ever wanted to do was be an exchange student, but as I grew older I thought I would never be able to be a high school exchange student. Here I am today, a junior in high school, who is currently studying abroad in Bosnia i Herzegovina, in the lovely city of Sarajevo!!

If you had asked me at the beginning of sophomore year would I go and study abroad, my junior year in high school, I would have replied,'
“1. No, there is NO way my parents are letting me out of this state, all by myself, at age 15, never mind the country.
2. I will not let myself miss the most important year in my high school career.
3. my parents aren't going to pull, $15,000 out of their pockets, and hand it to me saying, “Go study abroad in country that you know nothing about.""

Well, through YES Abroad, which is funded by the State Department, my parents are saying goodbye to their "little girl" and I am allowing myself to give up my junior year "Dream" of taking AP and Dual Credit classes to study abroad and have a cultural exchange. At least my parents didn't have to dish out $15,000!! :)

God has given me such an amazing opportunity, He has opened so many doors for me, and it is INCREDIBLE!!! I can't wait to see where this journey takes me!! I would love for you to follow my journey through this blog, which I will be keeping updated every few weeks! Hope you enjoy!

Monday, August 19, 2013

“Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.” - Wizard of OZ

Well, I have a feeling that I am no longer in Kentucky anymore... actually I am about 5,169.809 miles away!!! HAHA

 I am finally in Sarajevo, my new home! I arrived here at about 12:30 PM (Sarajevo time) Friday Afternoon!! I could never imagine any better place to spend my first exchange program! The city is GORGEOUS!! It's surrounded by mountains, has cobblestone streets, and it is a big city that has the feeling of a smaller city! I am not surrounded by high-rises, bur rather a big city that acts like a small city! The whole city is broken up into what they call "neighborhoods". More like smaller towns close together, that make up on big city!! It is soooo nice, and the people here are sooooo sweet!!! Every person I have met has been sooooooooo welcoming!! I can tell that I am going to make lifelong friendships here.

My last few days have been EXTREMELY hectic, Friday, I arrived at the Sarajevo airport, at which I met my AMAZING host family. Sanida, my host mom, Sumea , my youngest host sister, and Ajna, the oldest younger sister, were at the airport to greet me with beautiful smiling faces! We arrived home, where I met my host father, Omer, who was just as welcoming! I absolutely LOVE my host family, they have been so good with me, and working around my CRAZY schedule!! Sanida and Omer have been very patient with showing me around the city, and explaining public transportation to me! I couldn't think of a better family! But back to Friday! Friday night, we attended the Sarajevo Film Festival, which is very famous here and around Europe, It was soooo much fun! Saturday, I had orientation at American Councils, and then spent the evening at home eating, delicious, curry chicken! Later that evening Sanida took me on a walk to a place that overlooks the entire city! It was such a beautiful view!!! Sunday, we went to lunch with some extended family, which is where I ate Ćevapi for the first time.... my new favorite food!!!!! It was
SOOOOOO good!!!! Today, I had my first language lesson, which went well!! We also visited the outside of a famous a catholic cathedral, Serbian Christian orthodox church, Jewish Monastery, and the outside of a Muslim Mosque! This evening, I went with to the movies with my family, it was sooo much fun to have a little taste of the Sarajevo film!!!

So far my time here has been good!! I will make the best of this amazing experience!! I can't wait to see the things I will do in the future!! I need to go to bed!! So I will say goodnight to everyone, hope all is well in America!! :)

Until the next adventure,
Sarah Edgar



All the views from my house!! :)







 

No comments:

Post a Comment